Wrestling
This pic actually has nothing to do with wrestling. Just some boys supporting at a basketball game. Sean and Brian Burns came back to run at an indoor track meet and all these boys had to get together, of course. This was while Nick and I were in Florida watching softball, so I'm glad someone could send the pic!
Home meet: not sure which one
I think this might be another pic from Chillicothe.
Owen wasn't really challenged until the final, and I don't even remember who he wrestled.
Seneca: January 30-31
Chilling with the coaches
Just waiting for the next round
Wrestling around with Hunter Jennings.
I actually love this.
Hunter's dad is Coach Jennings who coached Gracie in basketball.
Hunter is quite a bit older than Owen, but also wrestled at Southern Boone before wrestling in college.
He has come back to help with the program. He is great to have around
LOL. Hunter and Owen
The Seneca Tournament was so far away, same as districts last year. Really good tournament though, and Owen got to wrestle Colten Roark, who is in our class and has only lost a couple times. Owen met him in the finals, and after giving up 7 points in the first period, did not allow him to score again. It was a great match that Owen battled through and learned from. I was pretty proud of him.
I stayed down there for this tournament and Gracie was kind enough to spend the night at home to take care of Ruby. Jaley came with her and I think Ruby cuddled with her all night. :)
Seneca Tournament picture.
We did pretty well.
Boonville: February 3
This was the last meet I saw before districts.
Owen won all of his matches.
Cheslea snapped a few pics while we were there.
Her camera is still better than my phone.
After Boonville, Owen had one more wrestling meet up in Kirksville, but I left for Florida that day to watch Gracie play softball. He won his matches there, too, and we were able to watch on the high school's hudl stream, so it worked out. Owen made one of his matches a little more exciting than it needed to be. After Kirksville, Nick caught a very early flight to Tampa and joined my sister and me for a softball weekend, which I will get to in the next post. Owen stayed back to go to practice, take care of Ruby, and hang out with his friends. He stayed with Bonnots and Talleys, who always take great care of him. He spent time during the day at home.
District Wrestling: Mexico February 20-21
I had such a busy day on Friday; student meetings, then tennis, drive home to let Ruby out before heading back north again to watch wrestling. Day one ended with two wins and semi-finals the next morning. The first two matches did not seem all that difficult for Owen. I think he pinned the kid in quarter finals in about 30 seconds. We still had all but one wrestler competing on Saturday morning and the team stayed in Mexico overnight. I drove home and slept in my own bed.
Congrats from coach
I think this is after his quarter-final, but it could have been the first round.
I don't remember, but it was definitely the first day.
Semi-final match.
Owen won this one pretty decisively, as well.
Semi-final
More congrats from dad after making it to state for the 2nd year!
Waiting for finals.
I just love this kid.
Getting ready for the championship match
My pictures were not very good from his finals match. I was too excited, and I'm sure it was one of those matches that my HR was way up there. This is where I will circle back to the conference finals when Owen lost to Colt West. This was his opponent in the finals for districts, and Owen had much more confidence, and it showed! I have no idea what happened to my sweet boy during that match, but Owen went after him with vengeance. It is what I had hoped would eventually happen for Owen. He has begun to hate losing and is developing the aggressiveness that is needed in this sport. Wrestling is not for the kind-hearted on the mat. You have to want to tear people apart when you go out there, or you will not win. I could never be that person, but I understand the mentality that wrestling requires, and I think Owen is figuring it out. I could not believe what I was seeing during that match; complete dominance from the whistle against someone Owen had never beaten before. I was so excited and proud and still am. I write this, knowing that each day is a new day, and that accomplishment should be celebrated, knowing the work is not quite done.
I think Owen is actually smiling through his mouthguard.
He was pumped after that win, and so was his dad.
Top of the podium, he gets to hold the bracket this time.
Another pic of Owen.
SBC state qualifiers
The most we have had in the school's short history of wrestling.
I want to add that there was one other match that competed with the excitement of Owen's win. Max Gabaldon, who is on the right end of this pic is a freshman and he reminds me so much of where Owen was at a year ago. Watching Max wrestle is so awesome and he gives it everything he's got; doesn't ever quit. His "blood round" match was amazing and I was so happy for him when he earned his way to state. Max is usually Owen's drill partner and Owen has taken him under his wing. I love this.
So, here we are: state wrestling is upon us, as we wait with anticipation to see what the next few days will bring. The brackets have been set, and just a little preparation remains. How thankful we are to have this opportunity and to make it through the season to the last possible days. I have told many people that my main prayers before any competition are for no injuries and that my kids be the best possible versions of themselves. (that goes for me too) I am both excited and anxious, yet content with whatever the outcome may be. Owen and his teammates have worked so hard for this and so deserving of the fun week they have ahead. Owen - have fun and do what you know how to do.


























Comments