Softball
Here we go.
After long hours of January practices, individual workouts, strength, conditioning, hitting, and recovery, the season has finally started. I left off with Gracie's first week of college classes, which were actually 4 day weeks due to the holiday, then a snow day the following week. So, Gracie has actually not had a full week of class yet, and I don't think she will throughout the entire semester. After the first two weeks, the team had their Black/Gold scrimmage and pre-season banquet. Both were great and we got to see a lot of players perform.
National Women and Girls in Sports Day
This is celebrated in February every year.
It typically coincides with WIN (Women's Intrasport Network) in Columbia.
Black and Gold Day
Gracie was on team black
She was 3-3 with a home run that day.
On 2nd base
It was a good day.
Three days later...
The team left on Wednesday afternoon for their 12 days in Florida.
There they go...
It did not hit me until then. This was just a coincidence, but ugh, it was tough letting go. I was unaffected when Gracie had her graduation party (that was really fun), the day she moved into the dorm (the previous night was rough, but it was also fun shopping with her), and even on her first day as a college student. I have seen her almost every day because she is still HERE, so close. When I happened to see that bus leave, it almost took my breath away, and there was nothing I could do about it. Not that she really needs to be taken care of, but that is someone else's job now, at least while she is competing and traveling with the team. The first of many travel days.
I left from KC the morning after and was joined by my sister to watch Gracie's first games as a TIGER in Florida. Annie and I spent some time at John's Pass that afternoon, and had lunch by the Gulf. The first night went pretty well, and Annie and I split the better part of a handle of margarita. Not quite the whole bottle. That was probably not the smartest thing I've done, but oh, well. We decided to stay in and went to the grocery store to get some food for the evening. We watched Owen's wrestling matches on hudl, continued to have one more margarita, and went to sleep at a fairly reasonable time.
Missouri
Florida - a little warmer
Annie and I walked out to the beach after the first day of games. The crazy thing is, that I just kept thinking, every time I've been here, I've been with Gracie, watching her chase sunsets. She should be here now. It's beautiful.
But, I got to hang out with my sister! So happy she came with me!
I definitely didn't get up to run of Friday morning, but we went for a walk after two softball games, in the afternoon/evening. Then we found some softball friends and went to Jimmy's Fish House. It was excellent! We didn't get to see much of Gracie, except when she was with the team during the day on Friday. They lost both opening games that day, and Gracie didn't get in to play yet.
I did go for a run the next morning.
It was amazing! Not as warm as I would have liked, but great to be outside on the beach next to the water. Fantastic start to Saturday.
Another running pic; it was a little breezy.
Ahhh...
Very nice start to the day.
Pic with Auntie Annie after the game Saturday night.
We got two wins on Saturday. So far no playing time, but the wins are very important!
Annie left very early on Sunday morning to get back to her family. It was a short trip, and I hope we get more again soon!
Day 3
Love #13
One of Gracie's high school coaches goes to this tournament every year to watch, and made sure to say hi to Gracie. Thanks for being there KP!
Last day warming up
Team huddle before the game on Sunday.
The last game of the weekend went to 11 innings, and we ended up on the losing side of it. Nick and I couldn't even stay for the final half inning because we had to catch our flight back home. The game started at 1pm, and we left just after 4pm. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 6:05, so we had to haul ass to get the rental car returned and get through security. We did talk to Gracie later, and the team wasn't even allowed to talk to family right after the game; they got directly on the bus.
Gracie said they ended up having a workout for any players who didn't play, and then they were released for time off through the next day. Fortunately, Grandma Deb was still there, and they went out to eat that night and then shopping at John's Pass the next morning.
I don't know how many times I debated changing my flight and staying to hang out with Gracie for an extra day. Ugh... again, just didn't know when I booked them that they would have a day off to do whatever they wanted. I want to be there for my girl and was having a hard time with it on the flight home. I know she will be fine, but sometimes I'm just not fine. The flight home was ok, though and Nick and I made it home by 2:00am; we had a flight change in Houston. Work on Monday morning came very early, but we both made it there before 8:00am, and Owen made it to school. :)
Monday was an off day for softball, but I had so much to make up at work, just from being gone a couple days. I'm very glad that Deb was still in Florida and that Jaley's parents were kind enough to let Gracie tag along for dinner that afternoon/evening. They ended up going to Jimmy's Fish House, as well. I guess they did some sort of bungee thing, too. I'm sure it was fun, but I haven't figured out if Gracie claimed Jaley's parents as her own for possible waivers. We sure didn't know this happened until after the fact...not that it would have mattered.
Fun times in FL
At the beach with Gma Deb
Back to business...practice Tuesday, apparently it was a tough one. Gracie's text after practice just read: "we are pretty much track athletes."
Next game @ UCF
Gracie and Jaley on the bus to Orlando
I believe Nathalie did their hair.
UCF was another frustrating game, but Gracie got in for the first time in the 6th inning! Nick, Owen, and I were watching from home, and I think Nick about lost his mind when he realized that she went in to catch. Owen even had to tell him to chill. Again, another moment when I was so proud, but also disappointed that I wasn't there. But she did look awesome on ESPN. It was great!
Walking back to the circle with Nathalie.
I was so happy that Gracie got to catch Nat during her first game. She had been working with Nat since December, since they both were in Columbia through winter break. Nathalie has been so encouraging to Gracie from the very beginning. They both did great for their half inning in the field.
So...I have way too many pics, but I don't really care.
We are pretty excited for Gracie's first games played as a tiger.
Gracie, Abby Hay, and I think Madison Uptegrove (Jiggy)
Coming in from the field
Gracie catching
And more of the same, but I just want to have all the memories.
Gracie also had her first at bat... the real one.
AND got a hit! She had an excellent at-bat and hit a sharp ball down the third base line...hard enough that the third baseman couldn't handle it and Gracie ran it out.
I kept thinking... I can't believe how calm she looks...so relaxed and composed.
Yep, this was me at home watching on the TV. This is not at a wrestling match.
I mean, I probably look composed too, but I really need to get my shit together. There is absolutely nothing I can do about the outcomes of anything. I constantly remind myself of that, yet here we are.
Successfully made it to first base with two outs in the top of the 7th.
Loved this moment for her.
Same game, different perspective.
So, disappointed with another loss, but excited to get to play. Next game, but not before another fun practice on Thursday. Maybe that was the one in which they became track stars. I'm sure Gracie remembers better than I do.
The following day, Gracie got her first collegiate start. I watched from my office at work with one of my tennis students, Andrea. She played through five innings before they switched it up again.
Catching again. :)
Talking things over with Coach A
No hits today, but pretty hard hit balls, and a good job catching.
After this game, they played 4 more in Florida before returning home. They were 2-3 again in this tournament, and beat a really good Duke team on Sunday. Then a very late night/early Monday morning before returning to classes on Monday. Three days of class/catching up, more practice, then on the road (or in the air) again.
Gracie came home to see us when she got back to Columbia and had Chase over to dinner with her. We watched him play basketball the next two nights, the first being senior night for both boys and girls. I was very happy that we got to see them both play. The boys' game didn't go well, and they ended up losing, but came back the next night and won very decisively.
She left again early Thursday morning for Louisiana. They had 5 more games last weekend. And so it will repeat every week through May. She didn't get to play again last weekend, but I'm so happy they have a home tournament this week and the girls don't have to travel. She came home again last night, for a little bit before going to see Chase.
https://www.columbiamissourian.com/boonecountyjournal/sports/southern-boones-gracie-britton-steps-up-to-new-challenge-with-mizzou-softball/article_c9ed7e9d-e93d-431c-83c1-bc01c5ec5ede.html
One of Gracie's coaches, Emma Raabe got me a new hat!
I was pretty excited. I lost the camo softball hat I had several years ago.
I could use some new shoes, too, but that might be a bit much to ask.
So, here we are week 6 of the semester at Mizzou, and I don't know what week it is for SBC High School. I just know that we have a very full schedule for the next several days. So many home competitions this week. I will be living in Columbia if you need to find me.
This article was published recently and I thought I would share it here. I'll try to find the clip from Gracie's first collegiate hit to post here, too. I know there is a lot in this post, but the combination of not posting for a LONG time and having some exciting things happening requires a few pictures.













































Comments