State Wrestling!!!
This is how it ended in February
Missouri High School State Class 2, 175#, 3rd place
This is how it started in November
When Owen brought this home after their goal setting day, there were a lot of ambitious goals on his list. I believe he achieved all of them with the exception of getting up and working out every morning. I'm not sure that was a realistic goal. But the others were about attacking, making others better, working hard, and achieving a top 3 finish in the state. I'm guessing that "top three at state" actually meant state champ in his head, but third place is amazing and took a lot of mental and physical grit to get there.
What a year for SBC wrestling. We ended the season with 9 state qualifiers (7 boys, 2 girls), 2 Champs (1 boys 1 girls), third place and fourth place finishers. Five total advanced to day 2. The boys team placed 8th. So many accomplishments for everyone this year.
Rayelle, Blaine, Kaid, Aften, Owen, Grant, Peter, Zafaran
Prepping for state
The day before state started, Owen was asleep by 6:30pm. He was tired. I think he woke up for maybe an hour or so, then went back to bed by 9:00pm.
We had fun decorating!
We have amazing coaches!
Every window was filled!
February 25: Day 1
Warming up
Drilling with Max
I caught Bryce, too!
He ended up placing 3rd again this year, too.
Coaches clearing the mat
Grand march for Class 2 Boys
8 mats, 14 weight classes, 16 per weight class
Owen taking his place among the 175# wrestlers.
Getting ready to go
1st match
The first match was really messy and Owen wrestled someone who he had beat twice already this year. He had a significant lead of over 10 points, but was reversed to his back and pinned. So unfortunate, unexpected, and disappointing. This loss put him on a long battle back to the next best thing. He had to win two more matches on Wednesday to make it to Thursday. He was somehow able to switch his mindset and get to the next day with a pin and TF for the next two matches. So 6 matches in two days equals a lot of pictures. I added as many good ones as I could find. I think there are more from the last day, but I just don't have them yet. Most of these were taken by photographers from Southern Boone.
Next match
Owen with Coach Mitch Bohlken
Mitch actually wrestled for Mizzou, and was an intern for a couple semesters before he graduated.
He has been great for Owen and sat with Nick for most of his matches.
Nick and Mitch
Last match on day 1
Another match to check off
I think this was a wrestler from Monett that he beat earlier in the season.
Same match
Last win on Wednesday night.
Congrats from coaches after making it to Thursday.
one of five consecutive wins
I love this picture of Peter and Nick.
This must have been after he won his quarterfinal match to make it to semis and guaranteed to place.
Peter ended up 4th in the state.
1st round of wrestlebacks
Hunter was in the corner for this one.
I think this was after Owen won his first match on the backside.
Another pic of Nick and Mitch

Found this on Nick's phone.
Looks like they're prepping for the last day.
Thursday, February 26: Day 2
Day two for Owen consisted of 3rd round wrestlebacks, consolation semifinals, then places matches. Owen needed to win his first match of the day to make it to the medal stand.
He did. Really awesome thing was that Owen's match to make it to medals, and Grant's semi-finals match were going on right next to each other at the same time. They both won at almost the same time. I have it in one of my videos, but couldn't get any pictures of it. Pretty fricking cool, but so hard to watch both.
I think this is from Owen's consolation semi-final match against someone from Mid-Buchanan. Owen won by TF, with about 10 seconds to spare. I haven't seen any other good pics from these matches, but Owen made it to the third place match!!!
All dressed up for Finals Day!
I don't know if this was taken during Owen's match or Grant's match.
Nick got to coach Grant during his finals match. That is also a crazy story...

Ready to go.
Owen's last match was a rematch from the previous weekend.
This one was so close, low scoring, and intense. It was a great match, and Owen fought with everything he had to hold on to that win.
The score was 0-0 after the first period. West was able to get an escape in the second period to go ahead 1-0. No more scoring in the 2nd period. West was called for 2nd stalling in the 3rd period to give Owen a point and even it up 1-1. West lets Owen up, giving Owen the go ahead 2-1. He thought he could take Owen down in the last minute. They each took shots and it was a battle. Owen hung on to a foot for what seemed like forever to get the win! It was so close and we had to wait for the final call from the 2nd official to confirm that Owen had won and West did NOT get the take down. My goodness, so exhausting to watch.

3rd place match
Waiting for the official call
I love this. Owen doesn't ever show much emotion on the mat.
Here he is smiling after that hard fought win.
So much growth since a year ago, and proud of how far he has come.
After the 3rd/5th place matches, there was a little over an hour break before the championship matches. SBC had two athletes, one on girls side at 145#, and Grant on the boys side at 157#. They happened to be in the same group during the finals matches, so coaches had to divide and conquer. Nick and Mitch were assigned to Grant, and Bradley and Coach Lee had Zaf. Again, so hard to pick which one to focus on, but Zaf definitely had the win of the night. She pinned a girl who had only lost 2 matches in her high school career and was going for her 4th state title. It was AMAZING. Not to take away from Grant, who is the first wrestler on the boys side to win a state title. Both were phenomenal performances going on at the same time. So fun for both of them!
Coaches during medal ceremony
Owen getting his 3rd place medal
Class 2, 175# placewinners
I believe Owen wrestled every one of these athletes at some point this year, and the only one he did not beat was the state champion.
So serious...
I finally got to see him!
I saw him briefly after his matches on Wednesday night, then not again until after his 3rd place match on Thursday. They all stayed downstairs for the entire day until they were done.
Another pic with my awesome kid.
But his face...he went through it.
Owen and Peter, very deserving of Cane's
SBC medalists with their coaches
The whole team, at least everyone who was still there after finals.
Incredibly proud of these two.
I'm so happy they get to do this together.
Family pic
missing Gracie :(
She did come to watch when she could, but had other obligations during some of the sessions.
Nova was there to watch with her family.
Last high school event with Nova
Ah... Max. He has been so fun to watch this year and has wrestled with Owen every day.
His backside matches to get to Thursday were a couple of the best ones to watch. He was down in both of them and came back with a pin to win. He does not ever quit. I can't wait to see him do this again next year! He reminds me of what Owen was like last year as a freshman, and I know they will keep pushing each other to get better.
Last team huddle with the 25-26 team.
What a fun season. Maybe we can relax for a few days...
I feel like I've written enough but somehow it doesn't truly describe what this wrestling family goes through for four months. These people are so amazing.






















































Comments