Merry Christmas!
How has so much happened again since my last post? We have been driving a lot in the last few weeks, including 3 trips to different places in Iowa. I'll start there...
The weekend before Christmas, we spent a couple nights with Wearmouths and celebrated Christmas with them. Mom and Dad were supposed to join us, but were both sick and didn't end up going to Iowa until Christmas day to see them. We celebrated our Christmas on Friday night. Of course, Annie had sent Owen's gift to our house and I promised her I would remember to bring it up. Yep, I forgot it at home. So Owen got to watch everyone else open gifts. I'm so glad he isn't 5 anymore; that would not have gone well in his younger years.
On Saturday, Nick and Owen went shopping in Des Moines, and Annie also took Gracie to Des Moines with her, while I stayed back with her kids for awhile. I didn't feel great on Saturday, so it worked out ok. By the evening we were ready to go out and left Gracie and Owen home with Annie's kids. It was pretty fun. Traci and Roger met us in Woodward at the Whistling Donkey and then we tried out whatever establishment exists in Bouton, IA. I can't remember the name. It was a pretty fun night.
Lots of fun in Bouton.
I didn't get any pictures of all the kids :(
Just this one of Gracie and Ruby.
We headed back home on Christmas Eve morning, in time to rest a little in the afternoon and go to the Christmas Eve Service in Columbia. It was so warm on Christmas Eve, but rained quite a bit. We actually gave ourselves some time and waited to go to the 9pm service this year. There were far fewer people in attendance compared to the popular 7pm service. It was nice to not feel rushed through dinner this year. We also opened presents before we left.
Gracie and her dad
Gracie and Owen
She has heels on and he is still taller than she is.
I got a pic with my girl, too.
She told me, "Mom, I look pretty put together tonight." I think she really like the outfit that she bought herself. Especially the red shoes...very festive.
Yes, we are both wearing sandals in December. How often do we get to do that?
Opening gifts on Christmas Eve
Owen getting some new kicks
Showing them off
Of all the things to get excited for...
New Nike sweatpants
I couldn't believe this was the gift that evoked the most happiness.
All of us on Christmas Eve
Different perspective... and Ruby snuck in there, too.
Another pic of the siblings
So, before dinner we made some sweet bread dough to make cinnamon rolls.
After the church service Owen and Nick worked on rolling up the rolls.
We try to continue with traditions every year. There are some traditions that don't make the checklist, and others that do. Like Christmas cards this year... those did not make my checklist. It was just one thing that I did not make time to do. And you know what? Everything is still ok. Also, this year I was banking on either Deb or Jeremy to make yardsticks for Christmas. I usually do, but theirs are better, so I was hoping someone else would and those also did not make my checklist. I guess they did not make anyone else's either. No yardsticks this year... guess what... Everything is still ok and there was still plenty to eat. We did have both steak and soup for Christmas Eve dinner, then cinnamon rolls and egg casserole for breakfast on Christmas. We're doing alright.
I asked the kids to make a list of their top 3 cookies to make, because I wasn't going to try to do everything this year.
Oreo balls
thumbprints
red velvet cookies
cheesecake
almond poppyseed bread
triangle tarts
There were probably a few others that I snuck in time for, but these were the top requested. Oh, we made puppy chow, too. We did not go to see the Clydesdales this year, but we went to VU lights for the first time, instead. Trying new things, but making sure to get our favorites done. Traditions are important, but want to make sure to try other things too. We made sure to be at home for Christmas Eve this year again... the kids wanted that.
I think this year might be the first year that Gracie and Owen did not put out cookies for Santa. But you know what? Santa did not disappoint. Christmas morning will always make me so happy. It's that feeling of excitement that changes just a little bit every year. Not better or worse, just different as we grow and change. The kids do not get up before dawn anymore with excitement...or even before 8am. But I do. I still love the stillness of the morning, any morning... not just Christmas. Waiting for the new day to begin. This Christmas just felt a little different for me. Both kids are not little anymore and I could just feel the difference this year.
Gracie's loot from Santa
Owen and Ruby have some great stuff too!
Like I mentioned, it had been light out for awhile before either Gracie or Owen emerged from their rooms, both more sleepy than excited. Like I mentioned...changes and different.
Here's Owen, trying on new boots.
There is a slight smile from Gracie
Christmas Day was actually fairly uneventful. We had breakfast and my parents stopped by before they continued north to Iowa to see my sister. Most of the day consisted of watching football and not doing a whole lot. Very relaxing. We didn't even get outside for anything because of the rain then it got cold.
So... there were the first and second Christmas celebrations... more to come.
I cannot remember when I took this, but isn't it beautiful???
Gracie had basketball practice the day after Christmas to get ready for the tournament in Rolla. The team left on Wednesday and didn't come back until Friday. I made the drive every day. One with Nick, one day by myself, and then the last day with Owen. Gracie rode home with us on the last day.
Game time in Rolla
Defense
Right before tipoff
Inbounding the ball
More defense
Owen sitting with all his friends
He eventually came over and joined me.
I think we were 1-2 at this tournament. 4th place maybe. We won the first game.
Then the day after our third trip to Rolla, we drove up to Iowa to see more family. We spent the weekend in Newton at Julie's parents' house, which was awesome. There was plenty of room for everyone. The unawesome part was that Nick was sick almost the entire time we were there and did not leave the bedroom we were assigned to. He was pretty miserable.
Lucas and Owen had some laughs together, per usual.
Cousin fun!
Gift opening time
Unfortunately all of Gracie's gifts were left there and we have still not been able to retrieve them.
She needed a nap
Owen convinced Charleigh to have fun
Gracie and Owen trying to do what they used to do. Owen is getting too big.
Gracie tried to get on his feet, too, but his legs are too long for her.
We stayed December 30-Jan 1. New Year's Eve was pretty anticlimactic, at least for me. Nick was still sick, and I was just tired, knowing that we had to get up and leave the next morning. Gracie had practice again on January 1, before their next game on January 2 in Hermann. I had never been to Hermann before, so we left a little early to try one of the restaurants there. It is a pretty neat little town and has a lot of tourism, probably more in the summer. Nick's mom joined us for that and the rest of the week's activities. The dinner and the game did not disappoint. The girls won in double OT, with 5 of our girls fouling out. Of course Gracie was one of them. It was a pretty exciting game!
They had another day off from school before returning to classes on January 4. The next weekend was really busy, too. Nick had officiating duties in Marshall, Gracie had a game in Columbia, and then an Aces banquet in Kansas City. I wish I had taken more pictures at the Sophie Cummingham Classic in Columbia. Sophie still remembers both of our kids and she is such a charismatic person to be around. She made sure to say hi to Gracie and she could not believe how big Owen is.
The Aces banquet was interesting and it was good to see how things are run by this organization. I think Gracie was glad she went, even though we were both kind of dreading it. We returned home pretty late that night and got up to go to Owen's wrestling meet in Jeff City the next morning. I didn't get any action pictures from this tournament, but there are more further down from the next weekend. Owen took first place.
Owen getting ready to wrestle in the championship match
Gracie and Nick patiently waiting, too.
On top of the podium with his ridiculously large medal
mom/son pic
Then more basketball after 2 days of snow/no school. Last week, Southern Boone had 2 days of school. So far this week, we have had none. But they make sure to get some athletics in.
Gracie doesn't seem very impressed that I am taking pics
Not sure what is happening here.
Pic from the game against Battle
Iowa - take 3
I am so glad that we made this trip, but at the same time I can't believe we made this trip. One of the coaches from 2008 and 2009 Ballard wrestling teams was inducted into the Iowa High School Athletics Hall of Fame this year and Ballard was recognizing the teams that won the state championship during those two years. Nick was a part of the coaching staff during that time and worked so closely with some of those kids. Those years at Ballard were so much fun and there was unbelievable talent with all the kids during that time. There was no way Nick was going to miss getting the chance to see them and their parents again. We knew the roads would be a little dicey on the way home, but geesh it took a long time to get back. I would never have driven this by myself. We had planned to go up and stay with Loewe's Thursday night and drive back on Friday during the day to get back for Gracie's game, but mother nature said no. There were blizzard warnings in Iowa starting on Thursday night and if we wanted to not get stuck in there for a few days, we need to get home sooner. That meant Nick was driving in the snow on sketchy roads in southern Iowa, with 35mph winds. UGH. It was horrible. Going back about 12 hours, though...
All smiles on the drive up. Didn't take any longer than 4.5 hours
Yes, just Nick and me. Gracie had a game and stayed with a teammate and Owen stayed with Talleys.
We left Columbia around 11am; Nick picked me up at work and I left my car for the night to save time. We were able to spend about an hour catching up with Loewes before going to the school, but that was definitely not enough. Man, I miss them, and I couldn't resist one of Lacey's homemade martinis. She is such a great host, actually both of them are. It is so crazy that it has been over 8 years since we could call them neighbors. Still lots of fun and I hope we can see them again soon.
Next up we spent a few hours at the high school with a social hour for all the alumni attending the reunion, followed by a dual against North Polk. Lots of laughs and stories that I had not thought about for a long time. Even during the dual, there was a lot of talking and reminiscing instead of actually watching the dual. It is crazy how things come full circle. The parents of the kids Nick coached are now grandparents, and Gracie and Owen are old enough to babysit for the kids of the wrestlers that Nick coached. We also caught up with a lot of the Ballard staff who are still working there. We even went into the wrestling/weight room, but not a lot has changed since we left. I suppose some of the kids that Nick coached in 2008 hadn't seen it, since the new school was built in 2011. It made me think how crazy it is that the kids at Southern Boone don't have a wrestling room and need to roll out mats every day just to practice.
Blast from the past - all these "kids," all grown up.
Nick standing with the group in between the two duals.
All of them at the recognition
I had to ask Nick who some of them were because I did not recognize them.
Others haven't changed a whole lot...just older. To put it in a little perspective, I was pregnant with Gracie when the 2008 team won their state championship, and Gracie was not even 6 months old when we won in 2009. Owen was not even a thought, yet. I remember carting Gracie in her car seat to almost every tournament on the weekends. She slept through a lot of it. I was very new to writing this blog and all I have are pictures of her, with brief mentions of the success for the team Nick was involved with, but I do remember those times, some of them very vividly. What fun group of people we were surrounded with at that time.
After the recognition, we met everyone for about an hour at the bar in Slater. Again, fun to catch up with this group. We got to see so many people who we haven't seen for almost 8 years. Time was short though, and we had to get going. Luckily it hadn't started snowing yet and we got a little over an hour of drive time before the snow let loose. After that however, it was pretty slow going until south of Kirksville. I stayed awake with Nick until almost 2am, but just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore, and not sure how he did. The drive took almost 6 hours. For well over two hours, it was hard to see the road. I do not miss Iowa one bit. The people are great, the weather is not. So cold, and so much snow.
We had not planned on working Friday, so we didn't. Actually Nick did go in for a little bit, but I did not. The kids also did not have school, but probably should have. Gracie's game was postponed and Nick and I took advantage of the free day, going to Home Depot to get more supplies for the basement bathroom. Friday is a little bit of a blur, but I do remember that Owen was a little over weight after being with Talleys for 24 hours, so he got to do a workout with Nick on Friday night before going to weigh in for his tournament on Saturday.
Fun times
Owen is actually really good about maintaining and willing to do the work if he needs to. I was surprised that he was a little over. He said that he weighed himself in the morning before April made pancakes and bacon, but then he didn't do anything else all day except lay around, drink and eat. That's what happens, I guess, when you don't have school or practices.
But... he made it. Nick took him down to Jeff City to weigh in and he was a couple pounds under and still feeling pretty good.
Wrestling meet at Helias
Another good day.
A few pics from the wrestling tournament.
Owen is doing well so far. Took home 1st again from this tournament.
The tournament went pretty quickly and we were home by 1pm to take Gracie to her shoot around and bus time. Back to California for the afternoon. They ended up beating Eldon and taking 5th in the tournament. We treated kids to Jose's after and then called it a night. Sunday was a day of working in the basement and practice for Gracie... more games this week, day off for Owen.
MLK day was not really a day off. Nick worked more in the basement, I got some stuff done at my actual job and Owen had a workout at the school for wrestling. Then we headed down to St. James for another basketball game. It was snowing again and the roads were not great, but I guess we gotta do it. It was a loss for the girls, but they get to play again on Thursday. We'll see how that goes. They did not have school again today due to "dangerously low" temperatures. Hopefully they'll go back tomorrow; I think we have already run out of "snow days." Southern Boone has only had 4 days of school so far since the semester began in January 4.
Mizzou started spring classes today, so it was a busy day, as the rest of the week will be also. Training tomorrow and Saturday; More basketball games and another wrestling tournament this weekend. I really shouldn't wait so long to write... I'm all out of words for now. There will be more.














































Comments