One Sport Comes to an End, More Begin

This seems so long ago!  Owen participated in the State Youth Wrestling meet on March 14.  He stayed in Kansas City for the weekend and got to watch wrestling all day on Saturday while Nick coached and then competed on Sunday.  He had high expectations for himself and wanted to come out on top.  However, after a little mishap in his quarterfinal match, he was in quite a bit of pain for the rest of the day and ended up earning 4th place, taking an injury default in his last match.  Unfortunately I didn't get to see this meet, but he is quite the fighter.  Grandma and Grandpa were there to cheer him on though!  I'm so proud of this little (or not so little) guy.  He finished his season with only two losses and one was the injury default.  He had such a great time going through the state series this year and was so excited to compete at this level!

Nick also was able to take him to NCAA Championships in St. Louis.  I think Nick has some pictures, but I haven't saved them to my phone yet.  Owen had an awesome time there, too!


Grandma Kate and Grandpa Tom supporting Owen at the state meet.
They even stayed in KC for the night!

Nick took this pic.  Owen is such a beast in the 10u division this year!

Owen during one of his matches at state.



Owen with his dad after the competition.

4th place finish.  Not bad for his first year competing at state.
Like I said, he really wanted to win it all, but maybe next year.  I'm so happy that he is loving this sport and that he got to do it this year.  He makes me so proud!

So, while Owen was competing in KC, I was in Peoria, IL with Gracie while she guest played in an indoor tournament.  She played with the same 12 U team that she went to Oklahoma and Iowa with last summer.  We were fortunate to stay with one of my best friends from high school who lives just outside of Peoria.  It was a great weekend!

We arrived Friday night and had an 8:20pm game to play.  Luckily, that was the only game we had that night.  There were games going on in that facility until well after midnight.  I think their team ended up playing 6 games over the weekend and ended up winning the championship.  I think they might have lost the first game on Friday night against Iowa Premier, but came back and beat them in the championship on Sunday.  Gracie caught and played shortstop in the majority of the games.  She did well hitting over the weekend with another homerun in the books.  One of these days she will hit one while she's playing for her dad's team. 

Overall it was a great weekend and I loved being able to catch up with Megan! 



Catching during one of the games.

Gracie with the team before the last day of games.

After winning the championship

Another pic of Gracie

After getting back home

More basketball...This was a tournament in Strafford, MO I believe.  I think this was the weekend right before we went to Florida for vacation.  We had one more tournament after getting back from vacation, and we are now in softball mode.




Softball....Scrimmaging against some other local teams.  I think this was also the weekend prior to vacation.  Can't wait to see some real games.


Wrestling Wrap up

Also prior to vacation, we had the CWC wrestling banquet.  Owen was recognized for having the most pins for 10U division.  I think he was also the only one who placed at state in 10U from our club.  Nick will most likely correct me if I'm wrong.

Part of the celebration

More awards.

Owen with his award for most pins

Oh, this also happened.

The Lexus is officially retired.  I decided to let Gracie try to back out of the garage.  That was a poor choice on my part.  It still runs, I guess, but the front end is a mess.  whoopsie.   Gracie felt terrible.  Live and learn I guess.



I'll put together a post of our much needed vacation soon.  A good time was had by all in Florida.

Since then, we hit the ground running with all of our activities.  Gracie is doing track for Southern Boone and has placed in both meets so far for shot put and disc.  There were two meets this week and she has three next week.  They are so long!!!  She has had one more basketball tournament in St. Louis, which was last weekend, which is the last one for awhile.  She is continuing to do dance one hour/week, and her first official softball tournament is this weekend here in Columbia.  We had a couple scrimmages last weekend for softball and she hit another homerun.  Now, if she can just hit an official one while dad is coaching, that would probably make her day (and his).  No pressure Gracie.  I'm so excited for this to begin again. She will start Little League games on Mondays in May.  I love watching them play.  

Owen has started both baseball and soccer practices.  His first soccer games are tomorrow, and he has four weeks of Saturday games.  He has never played before, so we'll see how this goes.  His baseball games will be on weekdays and won't start until May, as well.  We will be pretty busy for at least the next month or so with all their activities.  

More to follow soon...



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BIG NEWS

Closure for High School Softball

Fall Sports Conclude